Here’s another reason to be joyful as the year winds down…
Year-end Lists are pouring in, and Rolling Stone has continued to do the Jonas Brothers a (well-deserved) solid by respecting what they brought to the musical table this year and putting them at
Rolling Stone’s “Best of 2008: Albums of the Year” list puts them at #40!
Besides being totally thrilled for them, I’m impressed…I haven’t heard even a fraction of the choices, but I know that there are a lot of very “credible” (whatever that means) artists keeping our guys company – which is awesome (and a big duh).
And OH – they also got a kinda surprise selection and spot on the front end of the top 100 Singles of the Year!!
What they said about the Boys, and their favorite Jonas single, after the jump…
Can a teen band save power-pop? Kevin, Joe and Nick proved that they are more than Disney Industrial Complex toy-boys here, writing and playing nearly every note. And even skeptical grown-ups succumbed to the charms of “Burnin’ Up” and other fuzzed-up pop-rock nuggets.
The rest of the list is here.
And regarding their chosen single:
#49: “Video Girl“: An uncharacteristically nasty — and characteristically catchy — swipe at chicks-on-the-make from the titans of Radio Disney: “They’re all the same, they all want money…./They live for fame, honey.”
Keep an eye out for any other top citations they get on lists like this and let us know!! We’ll compile them here:
- Not exactly a critic-curated list, but Google Zeitgest 2008, which aggregates the content of web searches throughout the year, has the Boys figuring heavily on the public mind in 3 categories – #1 in the one that matters, concert ticket searches!!! With #8 for lyrics searches for “Tonight” and #4 & #6 for (sigh) celebrity breakups, LOL. AND, they rank 10th globally for highest rising search. Holy moly!
- Props to our homestate college University of Delaware student paper The Review for putting the Jonases on their Best of 2008 CDs List saying the Boys “carry themselves with maturity beyond their years, and have carved out a nice niche for themselves in the industry, expanding beyond their Disney audience”.
- A St Joseph’s University student (of good old Philly, PA, wooo!!) agrees, with her 2008 staff pick.
- Time Magazine named “Burnin’ Up” #6 on the Top 10 songs of 2008! Nice.
- Chris Willman, at Entertainment Weekly, placed “A Little Bit Longer” at #8 on his Top Ten Best albums list in his “Second Opinions” column.
- AOL Music’s zine Spinner names Burnin’ Up #18 on its Best Songs list.
- Christian online zine Patrol places ALBL at #42 on its Best Christian Inspired Music list, writing this fantastic commentary: “With their career hardly begun, the Jonas Brothers have transcended their own startling youth, purity rings, Disney associations, screaming junior-high girls, and the over-15 world’s endless mockery. They’re for real; dismiss them at your own risk.”